Thursday, July 21, 2011

Son of Owners

Hello again.

     As you may, or may not know, I stand to inherit B.H.O.C. when my parents retire. A great opportunity, true, but I wanted to discuss the whole...prospect of being an owner's son. You see, many believe that when a child inherits a business, they are just handed an empire and then they can ride the coat tails of their parent's achievements and let core staff members basically run the whole thing behind the curtain. This, however, is not the chase with me.
     Working at Budget has been some of the most exciting and challenging times in my life, and I earn every paycheck that I get. I'm not bragging, but just giving insight to a situation that many have become jaded, or even hostile, to.
     Then there is the insecurity that I have to deal with. Sometimes, when I'm off my game, I ask myself, "are they keeping me because I'm blood?" "Are they paying me extra because I'm their son?" Doubt, confidence, reassurance, denial, all these worries and opportunities, and ideas slam around in my head, and it's my job to sort them all out and still do my job.
     I have to prove myself. I have to work hard. And I want to, and I do! But, I will always have the stigma attached to me that I am an owner's son, and some may still believe that I'm a spoiled brat drafting behind the success of a business my parents built.
     What do you think about this issue? Are any of you owner's children? How do you feel? Let me know, I'd be interested to hear.

Until next time then.

No comments:

Post a Comment