Friday, August 19, 2011

Not My Job

     I hate that phrase. Not my job. You know that? How can anyone be "above" someone else's job? Sure there are exceptions, like being unable to do a certain piece of work, or being untrained, or sick. But, if there is no-one to say...clean an office. It has to get done.
     Why can't everyone just band together and do it? Some people may think I have a pretty sweet gig because my parents are my bosses. I love what I do, don't get me wrong. However, I do get my hands dirty when the time comes. I still do carpet cleanings. I do laundry. I fold rags. I shovel snow. I repair vacuum cleaners. Hell, if need be? I'd clean accounts.
     And I'm a salaried manager, which some people think entitles them to being immune to all sorts of labor that is not directly in their job description. How ignorant. Of course there are exceptions, and I trust each of you to be smart enough to recognize them.
     But, the next time you want to say, "not my job", think about the context. Is it really not your job? Or are you just be lazy? What are some experiences you have had? What do you think? Lemmie know.

No comments:

Post a Comment