Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hard Work Breaks Office Chains

Over the past weekend, Budget got a large account. So large in fact, that we didn't have enough people to do it, so I and my father worked alongside four other employees to get the job done. After my father left for a wedding, it was just me, and the crew. The manager in me spoke up, making sure that I watched everything that was going on, and made sure that everything got done right. But there was another part of my job and position that I had forgotten about, and that's the physical, back breaking labor.

When I was a teenager, I would work over the summer with my 'rents cleaning homes. I would dust, wash floors, and clean bathrooms. It was hard work. In fact, the only other time I've encountered something more difficult on a job site was working at a farm slingin' hay bales. Anyway, I had become restless at Budget as of late. Bored. Unproductive. In fact, I was dreading the past weekend, and wanted someone else to take my place. But there was no-one else.

There was no-one else, and I am glad that there wasn't. I had forgotten about the physical end of the job, and how rewarding it is to work alongside with other people going towards the same goal you are- cleaning. I was sore, covered in sweat, mentally and physically exhausted,  but I went home that day knowing that we, not I, we did a good job, and out customer will be happy. And guess what? They were happy.

If you are stuck in an office for the majority of the day like I am, try and get out in the field somewhere to do some real, honest to goodness physical labor if you can, or are able. It shakes off the dust of being a sedentary creature sitting at a computer all day. I know this because I am recharged and re motivated to do good in the company again, and it was all because I reminded myself of how hard all our employees work, and how much time they put into they're jobs. I feel like a new man. I truly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment